6.19.2009

memo: use blog as a memo


sometimes i get all shy around my blog. i get intimidated by the idea that what i put up, stays up, (even if i take it down, as i've realized since posting a coworkers full name and then googling the coworker for an unrelated project and finding my blog and almost choking. not ok. HR will fire my butt so fast my ass will look like seared tuna steak. hoping no one googles his name any time soon.)
anyway, i'm going to get a little more careful about using work names but a lot less careful about what i put up here.
1. my, um, 'readership' is 99% my closest friends so they're stuck with me even if i sound like a dweeb on this thing.
2. the only benefit of spending my life on a computer is this whole self-education thing ive got going on using as my syllabus the NYT and about twenty blogs written by a variety of people i respect ranging from highly opinionated pundits to bookstore owners to farmers market hoppers to poets to unidentified bright spiritual fascinating people as my syllabus. i cant really turn their pages down and if i bookmark them seperately on two different computers ill never keep track of them so the only common space i have is this blog. so to the best of my ability it will hereby become my things-of-note note pad.
so my brilliant roomie made a brilliant strawberry rhubarb pie last week and i was bemoaning how limited the uses of rhubarb are and then i came across this recipe for Rhubarb Syrup, from 10thirty, a site i adore.

4 cups chopped rhubarb
1 cup sugar
1 cup water

Combine everything in a heavy-bottomed sauce pan and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to a simmer and cook gently until the fruit is soft and the liquid has thickened slightly, about 20 minutes. Ladle into a fine strainer (or a coarse strainer lined with cheesecloth) that has been placed over a large bowl. Strain until most of the liquid is in the bowl. Give a little press on the solids with a spoon to extract more syrup. Carefully pour the syrup into a clean bottle, cover or cork the bottle and refrigerate. It should keep for quite some time in the fridge.

Notes: Don’t throw away the rhubarb pulp! Try mixing it into some Greek yogurt in the morning or dropping it onto a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Personally, I like to spoon the pulp onto a piece of whole wheat bread that I’ve covered with crumbled goat cheese; then I sprinkle it with finely-chopped rosemary, crack some black pepper over it all and slide it into the toaster oven until the bread crisps up. As I wait for it to cool, I drizzle some olive oil across the top.

Additional uses for syrup:

Whisk with powdered sugar for a rhubarb-flavored glaze as a frosting substitute on cakes and cookies.
Mix with Champagne or sparkling wine for rhubarb bellinis.
Drizzle over French toast in lieu of maple syrup.
Make rhubarb sundaes!

Rhubarb Mojitos

For each beverage:
4 tablespoons rhubarb syrup
1 ounce white rum
5-6 large mint leaves, torn
Seltzer or club soda
Ice

Add rhubarb syrup and mint to each small highball glass. Add 1 ounce of white rum. Stir to mix. Top with seltzer or club soda and add ice.

I'm going to a farmers market in cambridgeport tomorrow and going nuts on some rhubbarb. nuts i tell you. maybe ill look for some cool bottles and give it away to coworkers... yesss. that would be niiiiice.

No comments: