3.09.2009

monday morning face plant


i woke up this morning so confused. 1. that it was monday and 2. that it was snowing. the confusion stemmed from the fact that the weekend encompassed such major events that it seemed like something new should begin on the other end of it. an entirely new day... say, moonday, perhaps.
events on both nights rocked my socks off in different ways and then daylight savings on a 60 degree afternoon actually coerced the words "spring has sprung" out of my mouth.
and yet, monday came, and with it, the same old drudge and dread, as if those 2.3 days and all their glory hadnt gone down at all.
i could almost hear boston wagging a finger at me: eh eh eh... not so fast, sucka. pull out those boots you packed in the back of the closet and slog to work in st bernard slobber-snow attacking your face. oh and itll be ten degrees colder and darker because of that daylight savings you were all excited about yesterday. whip snap.
but even still this weekend was big. and the big undeniable changes made me reflect on the small creeping changes that have been working on me, slowly turning the unwieldy boat of my life in a completely new direction.
i turned 23 on teh 23rd last april and everyone liked to tell me that meant this was going to be my "golden year". i'm a believer in useless things like that and even though i couldnt really imagine tripping over treasure or winning an oscar and no relatives seem poised to croak and leave me scaths of jewelry, it was easy to feel like this year had the potential to be 'golden' or at least monumental as i faced down graduation, jobs, Relationship decisions, moving cities, living on my own time for the first time...
this weekend made me sit back and reflect, i was lurched off the gravitron of the last 11 months to realize that the choices ive made and people ive met have changed the entire landscape of my life. and my internal landscape as well.
now a month from the less exciting and signifigantly scarier '24 on the 23rd,' theres actually no question this year has been the most influential of my 23, and its not even over.
six weeks to go.
exciting stuff, life.

No comments: