3.29.2010

for my mother on her 66th birthday

Acceptance Speech

I want to thank my mother for the hurried mornings in pre-dawn darkness
I learned that its always worth taking the time to slice the apple
that you should run through the checklist twice
that the shine on your shoes matters

I want to thank my mother for nights in the smoke-stale air under stiff sheets at third rate hotels
I learned that there is always a better room and you should ask for it
that underwear can be washed in a sink
that windows should be able to open

I want to thank my mother for the hours by a ring in the bone cold, or mosquito buzzing heat
I learned that you should always be prepared for rain
that you want someone standing in your corner to whisper a warning before you face those who will judge you.
And you’re lucky if that person is your mother.

No comments: