5.21.2009

"this too shall pass"

is a phrase from a Jewish folktale, in hebrew it's pronounced "gam zeh yaavor" and i remember my grandmother muttering it to me when i got worked up as a child.
The story is basically that Solomon assigned his advisor an impossible task: to find an object that would make a happy man sad and a sad man happy. he came back with a ring with those words engraved on it.
since i read the story the phrase has been turning in my head and it feels good. it takes pressure off and puts pressure right back on and somehow, whatever the weight is that remains, sits well on me. i say this to myself and i feel grounded but unburdened.
for a while now ive been trying to decide on a tatoo. this is it.
it will go somewhere on my hand.
this fall i found an old book on palm reading and i cant tell you how beautiful it is, even if you dont believe in the practice its incredible to learn how diverse they can be and how ancient the tradition is of studying those diversities.
hands are the first things i study when getting to know someone.
my hands are my memo pads, where i write anything i dont want to forget.
the statement is a reminder
a warning
a blessing
a curse
it is the truth
i'm at my best in the moments when i'm most connected to this idea
when i deny, ignore or forget it, i lose myself, my perspective, my balance
thrilled. i am thrilled.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

interestingly, that concept correlates with the Buddhist concept of impermanence.